Five Cool International Destinations for Holiday Travel
International travel over the holidays is an escape for some people — getting away from the in-laws, the juggling of whose house to eat which dinner at, or just the crowds. For others, holiday travel means an adventure designed to learn more about other cultures and countries. Whatever your reason for international holiday travel, you’ve literally got the world at your feet when it comes to choices. From romantic to relaxing to active, here are five suggestions on exciting places to spend your holiday season.
- The Italian Alps: When someone mentions the Alps, people frequently think of skiing. While it’s true the Alps are known for ski slopes, the Italian Alps are so, so much more. Picture yourself on a frozen ice rink during lightly falling snow, or hiking through a beautiful snow-covered forest, ending with warm beverages at the fireplace in your lodge accommodations. Tour a castle, like Belfort or Aragonese, shop authentic Italian boutiques after a filling Italian meal like Minstar de Cardi. What a perfect destination to allow for experiencing an entirely different lifestyle, maybe a whole new season for those who live where it doesn’t snow, and to be both active and relaxed. Consider the Alps and who knows what you’ll find in Italy!
- London, England: London is beautiful any day of the year, but the city goes all out during the holidays. Lights are everywhere and holiday music is abundant. Markets, fairs and concerts are available all over. If you visit Oxford Street, Carnaby Street or Regent Street, you’ll enjoy the seasonal light and art displays the area is known for. No visit to London during the holidays is complete without the world-renowned holiday tree in Trafalgar Square, and for an amazing look into history, consider the Christmas Carol Walk, based on Dickens “The Christmas Carol.” Full of history and English food, London offers so many things to do, your only problem will be fitting it all in.
- Caribbean: Want to get away from the snow and cold? Does Christmas on the beach, in a hammock with a cold beverage in hand, sound like how you’d like to spend the holidays? You can’t go wrong with a Caribbean vacation. Even without the snow though, the holidays aren’t forgotten in the islands. Grand Cayman features a Santa dressed in tropical gear, and St. Kitt’s celebrates Christmas through early January, complete with Calypso music. In St. John, Santa travels by boat, delivering gifts to the children, so no one is left out. A Christmas in the Caribbean means a different kind of Christmas sure to create memories!
- Budapest, Hungary: Wouldn’t it be amazing to start your Christmas celebration on a cruise down the Danube? Visit the Budapest Christmas Market for unique Christmas gifts and souvenirs to take to your loved ones at home. Take a ride on the renowned Christmas Light Tram or take a walking tour of the Buda Castle, with spectacular views of the city. St. Stephen’s Basilica will give you a chance to celebrate Christmas with the locals in a one-of-a-kind way you won’t find anywhere else. This year, there are three Christmas festivals planned, where you’ll experience traditional Hungarian music and food without the crowds you may find elsewhere. A winter visit to Budapest is like no other!
- Reykjavik, Iceland: Doesn’t Christmas under the Northern Lights sound amazing? Known for Christmas lights all over, you can see them in the most spectacular of circumstances if you holiday in Reykjavik. Try traditional Icelandic food or opt for something more modern. Ice skate, play in the snow, visit a Christmas festival or attend one of the many concerts geared towards the holidays. If a walking tour is more your style rather than driving to see the sites, you’re in luck. Check out the story of 13 Santas for a heads-up on Icelandic holiday beliefs! Reykjavik is a family-oriented location with a hometown and cozy holiday feel you’re sure to enjoy.
Whichever of the above locations you visit, don’t forget to book your rental car in advance. Fox is located in all five of the above countries, offering you the lowest rental rates on the vehicle you need for any size party. Let us help you save money on your rental so you can really have the affordable vacation of a lifetime!