San Francisco (SFO) Car Rentals - California
CAR RENTAL IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA
San Francisco is a beautiful city that allows for walking to many tourist sites, but to get to and from the airport, or the less central areas, you will need a vehicle. You’ll also want to be able to drive across the bridge! The Fox San Francisco Airport location is conveniently located to have you on the road quickly so you can quickly begin your San Francisco vacation.
THINGS TO DO IN SAN FRANCISCO
San Francisco is a historical city of culture, a mix of styles and seasons and views. Built on hills by the by, San Francisco offers more seasonal weather than many areas of California and you’ll want to ring a coat and maybe even an umbrella. With many sightseeing places on the coast, it can get chilly, and you won’t want to be too cold to get out on the boat to Alcatraz, one of the most popular things to do when in the San Francisco area. (Just be sure to reserve tickets ahead of time as they do sell out some days.)
Whether you’re coming with your family or alone, San Francisco is a fun place to explore. There are so many things to fill your days with, you’ll run out of time before you run out of options. Here are a few recommendations to help you start your itinerary:
- Pier 39 — Surrounded by sea life, the pier is a historical site originally built back in 1905 as a cargo pier. In the 70s, it was transitioned into a waterfront attraction that now encompasses 45 acres of restaurants, food booths and shops. It offers beautiful views of the Bay Bridge, the San Francisco Bay Bridge and Alcatraz Island.
- Alcatraz — Speaking of Alcatraz, it’s a must-see. Located only a short boat ride from Pier 39, Alcatraz is an original maximum security prison that was closed in 1963. It is now available for tours of its grounds, from actual cells to the scene of an infamous uprising. For an additional fee, you can rent headsets to listen to an audio tour to enhance the experience.
- Lombard Street — Seen in many movies, this extremely steep and curvy road has to be seen to be given its full justice. Driving is it an experience, but the hearty can also walk the hill.
- Fisherman’s Wharf — It’s the area’s most popular destination, located near Pier 35, and includes Ghirardelli Square, the Aquarium of the Bay, seaplane excursions (and other water activities), the National Liberty Ship Memorial, numerous shops (including Ghirardelli chocolate, of course) and numerous hotels and restaurants.
- Trolley Cars — If you’re an old movie buff, you’ve likely seen the trolleys running through the streets of San Francisco. They are still available for public transportation but many hop on them for at least a short ride just for the experience.
San Francisco is a city that belongs on every traveler’s list and will provide you and your family many fun memories of a fun exploration of the northern California coast.